Sim Direction-- IMPORTANT PLEASE OFFER YOUR OPINION

Chyleste
Site Admin

Sim Direction-- IMPORTANT PLEASE OFFER YOUR OPINION

Post by Chyleste » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Celestial City has always meant to be a living evolving place where the actions of the residents can change how the world is. We do want to keep the main basic theme of a modern day style human city with super heroes and villains. But there is still a LOT of room for variations within that framework.

What would you like to have in Celestial City. I do not mean just a new building or little thing. I am talking about the over all story / setting.

Do you want a nice clean safe city ruled by heroes (pretty much what we have had for a while)?

Do you want an oppressive regime where villains are in control and the heroes have to fight back against the odds to actually be heroic?

Do you want anarchy in a lawless city?

Do you want metahumans to be open and fully accepted as a normal everyday occurrence like Astro City (Read it!! Awesome book!) ?

Would you like metahumans to be outlawed so they need to use the secret identities and actually have some drama and struggle to prove their heroism?

Do you want CC to suddenly become a mirror universe where good guys are bad and bad guys are good? Do you want a gender bending rule 63 universe?

The possibilities are endless. I had started with a big rambling post going in depth into a lot of options but I want to hear everyone's ideas. Remember this is not just my sim this is OUR sim. We are creating this world together through our stories.

Timberwulff
Sim Admin

Re: Sim Direction-- IMPORTANT PLEASE OFFER YOUR OPINION

Post by Timberwulff » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Metahumans open and fully accepted is what I am hoping for

Railgun
Sim Admin

Post by Railgun » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:12 pm

To put it blunt. I like what we have with one exception.

The CCPD's faction leader isn't faction leading.

Right now PAE is the biggest and most active faction there is, and that's largely in part because I'm active EVERY day. I drive rp EVERY DAY. I come up with shit for people to do EVERY DAY. The CCPD has been like this for AGES. I've seen it happened several times were Blue was reminded to do her job, She takes it up for a week so she doesn't get "fired" Then fucks off again. Some of the players I loved rping with have left the sim because I told them to go CCPD and there was no leadership. They had nothing to do there. They got bored and left

Every single active faction on the sim was active because they had active leadership. -----no------ faction on the sim other than pae has someone who's sole focus is making their faction fun for others. Find someone who wants to do that for the cops, and them put them in charge. Find someone who wants to do that for the bad guys and put them in charge.

yuritakashi

Post by yuritakashi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:18 pm

I personally do not see the cops as something realistic to the setting.

We have a city full of meta humans very few people roleplay base human and i think that should be taken into account as something that is applicable to the entire city, i believe Meta Humans should be considered an every day affair too the extent every one is a meta of some form, and i believe the "police" or what it would evolve into needs to adapt to follow.

We do not have many lawyers, we have even less judges, i feel that installing something like a Judge Dredd system for a while with the Protectors of the city could build drama and conflict both things this city BADLY needs, and i feel if we let the citizens fight against this new system of control, not a full goverment takeover but a few individuals granted authority beyond that any normal officer would have you may start to see villains group up within this new system and thus actually bring back some balance to the hero vs villain dynamic for a time

AndreTurner

Post by AndreTurner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

I think more nitice post to draw members to the map would be good. Maybe even an open RP group for individuals to look for people to start small roleplays with people in the sim. A better functioning police department would be cool. Maybe a little incentive for active members. I think drawing people to the sim and then working to retain them would a good course of action to take.

J.Trimble

Post by J.Trimble » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

I want to see costumed heroes and costumed villains. I understand there needs to be an IC reason for characters to do this and not see it as optional.
At the moment its visually not very action comic book with the asthetic look of a lot of heroes.

yuritakashi

Post by yuritakashi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:38 pm

I also would like a reason to see them still need to use costumes, my suggestion is to start holding both heros and villains that damage city property accountable to pay for the damages, this way certain wreckless heros must dawn a costume even if it is acceptable. because well *looks to timber* he would owe a lot of money to the city.

I do hate that i feel this needs to be stated but it should be clarified for some of the Villains/Doms, this is not just a fuck and suck sim, while sex is not frowned upon. Players who seek to just do story and build their arcs with out any sex should not be frowned upon. however Individuals who want some sex with their plot should not be frowned on either, (i am making this comment as it has come up in CC chat more then once this week)
Last edited by yuritakashi on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solène

Post by Solène » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Sort of prohibition, leading to rivality between group.

Power-hungry fight in the city, trying to knock the actual power established.

Jessica Kiffer

Post by Jessica Kiffer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Some dangers for the capes, I'd like people to look over their shoulder as they sneak back to their home, worried that someone might find them out, and that everything that they've done is gonna be jeopardized at moments notice

Identity concealing helmets are good, yo.

Angelina Sinclair

Post by Angelina Sinclair » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 pm

To actually answer the questions OP's question. These two scenarios would be perfect:

Do you want an oppressive regime where villains are in control and the heroes have to fight back against the odds to actually be heroic?

Do you want anarchy in a lawless city?

Akumahime

Post by Akumahime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Cynosure: Sweet, Cynical, Cynosure, Guns work here, Magic works there, swords work everywhere!-GrimJack

I kind of like the the whole Multidimensional thing we have going on. That said, It's kind of difficult to really nail down the whole "Good Guy/Bad Guy" Dichotomy, The heroes and villians actually get along pretty well and there really isn't any kind of animousity being built up between the two groups. Hell, most of them are in some weird sexual relationships to some degree or another. ((Nothing wrong with that))
Perhaps what we COULD do, to play up the superhero/supervillain bit is maybe play off one group against the other. like PAE and oh say the Non-Human members of the city? or maybe we need a J. Jonah Jameson type of character stirring the pot.

CassieK

Post by CassieK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm a big fan of the multidimensional backstory thing (it was really a cool read when I first joined!). I'll echo what a few others have said so far: The heroes in the city need to be worried. Right now they walk around the city seemingly without a care in the world (I have a hero and a villain) and almost no concern for their safety, etc., on a typical day.

There needs to be more..... something (cowbell?)... to weight the scales back toward the villains. The Shadow Elite group is a good start if it continues to grow and gets rolling. A lone hero should have to be concerned for their safety more than they are currently.

Siphon

Post by Siphon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 pm

I think I am going to echo a little bit with a couple of the posts before. I think heroes don't feel well... comic-like heroes whenever I am around in CC. Also I would love to be fighting against odds it's far more interesting as a heroine.
<<click up here for my character sheet>>

Stardrift

Post by Stardrift » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

I agree with what J.Trimble said regarding having more costumed heroes and villains, in the sense that it'd be nice to have a motivation there for them to create a costumed identity. Superheroes are generally pretty reactive, not proactive; if the crime rate is low, they've done the job. If there are more nefarious things afoot then they have something to work towards.

Railgun
Sim Admin

Post by Railgun » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 pm

To all of you who are complaining about heroes being costumed?

TONY FUCKING STARK.

*mic drop*

J.Trimble

Post by J.Trimble » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 pm

"Tony worked to improve the Iron Man armor and claimed Iron Man was Tony Stark's personal bodyguard to disguise his identity. Tony played a dual-role with the formation of the Avengers both as the sponsor and, as Iron Man"

"After using one of his Life Model Decoys (LMDs) to deceive the Mandarin and protect his identity, Tony was horrified when the LMD developed an independent personality and usurped his identity."

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Iron_Man_(An ... z4eZQa75Gh

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Iron_Man_(An ... z4eZQ3ziFY

As I said, costumes ((even if they are armors)) are still a staple of comic book hero lore, as are alternate egos.

Stardrift

Post by Stardrift » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:09 pm

A costume isn't necessarily something that is required to hide an identity. Some super-types who don't have to have a secret identity wear costumes anyway because it's part of their brand. Or, possibly, that they're officially on-duty as a super.

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:19 pm

I am seeing some things mentioned by a lot of people that I agree with.

I would really love more actual costumes and secret identities.

I agree with the idea that the heroes need to have some odds stacked against them. A hero who just stomps through everything with no worries, no fear, no struggles is not really being heroic. They might be doing the right thing but not really being a hero. In all hero stories or myths what makes someone a hero is fighting against overwhelming odds, digging deep to do what is right no matter how hard it is.

*picks up the mics and gently places them in the stands because mics are expensive*

LillianVickson

Post by LillianVickson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 pm

As someone who RPs several characters without secret IDs, I support those that do! ((OOC)) ;-)

I like that Elite and VIPer are gearing up.

I do think that CCPD could be more visible. Maybe Blue needs a 2nd?

I love the dimensional shake-up ideas!
Just give me a guideline and I'll show up (RL providing)
Beep Me

Jasper Paine

Post by Jasper Paine » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 am

I've actually been working toward a story arc of assembling an Anarchist group of individuals bent on over-throwing the government system and law / enforcement. Essentially bringing stuff down to Mad Max type of Anarchy. However, as to the secret identity thing, while those that have jobs in the public SHOULD wear masks of some sort, as a public villain/ asshole with no legit job and doing this shit since he got his meat-popsicle unfrozen from the alien Ark.... eh.... his villain name is more of a pride thing. But i'd like to see SOME conflict with disrupting the status quo, I understand theres been ALOT of work put into story lines, but at a certain point, things must change. Cliques need to spread out. I've gone a whole week without getting any RP despite asking if anyone wanted several times in group chat while there were multiple peoples in sim.

If anyone would like to work with me on the 'Rebellion' story line to overthrow the government, please, contact me In World, my Account name is Dragoranos Kungfu. Lets see where chaos and havoc can bring us :>

J.Trimble

Post by J.Trimble » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:12 am

Problem with anarchy. Especially a mad max styled one.

Those with "public jobs"

In a mad max anarchy?

No banks..
No civic ..
No legal..

In short no jobs

You can run a meat factory cutting up human or meta bodies in a "civilized" setting, it just happens to be illegal, but then so is rape and kidnap and torture but that shit still happens.

You can't do regular jobs in an anarchy. Just barter and fight. That leaves "Intelligent" characters no room for political machinations. Are we to assume lawyers and politicians and all those types would still get together and plot and scheme in an anarchy where there are loopholes for them to scheme or funds to embezzle?

This -isn't- mad max.
This -is- a superhero themed sim.
I think that -theme drift- will occur rapidly. The big ones, Gotham, Metropolis, New york, West Coast , a majority if not 99 percent of comic book hero settings work in some sort of ordered ((maybe corrupted)) Society.

Besides, In an anarchy , there is absolutely NOTHING stopping heroes ganging up on one single villain. Anarchy don't mean everyone turns evil and supports the villain, given the amount of heroes we have, it means they'll all gang up and make the villain unplayable. You expect "plot armor" to save you from that?
People get tired of "You can't touch me, because I play the dark side of the spectrum" type of attitude.

And p.s hate to break it to you, but read the laws, they are more favorable to villains than heroes. It's not a "goody two shoes " government, it just appears that way. I mean know of any other government that sells heroines into slavery?

Chyleste
Site Admin

Post by Chyleste » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:47 am

An anarchy storyline would be cool for a little while but it could only last a couple weeks or maybe a month before some kind of order is restored.

It would provide a lot of different RP opportunities for all kinds of characters. Heroes trying to restore law, crimelords selling supplies, thugs chasing victims, innocents trying to hide and survive.

We did have a couple months of anarchy in the destroyed ruins of the city after the meteors devastated everything. We had it set up for groups to compete for territory etc.

It did not turn out to be very popular. We had some get into things but mostly activities dropped off with only a couple little groups staying with their own group. Once again it came down to "unless an admin is running something no one else will do anything."

Talista Glas

Post by Talista Glas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:52 am

A few things to note. First of all, make some emphasis on event organizing and potentially help with ensuring everyone gets involved. I know I can't be the only one getting ignored in events. For one reason or another, I put up posts aimed at individuals and get straight up ignored in the following posts more often than not, and usually have to then spend half my time IMing people and asking them to post in response to my actions. Once or twice in an event really isn't a problem, but when it's happening consistently, it becomes incredibly annoying. This type of thing has been going on for awhile and I expect I'm not the only one discouraged from being involved in events because of it.

Alright, as for storylines, I think it would be interesting to see a rise in a sort of Autocracy within the city. Perhaps not so simple as villains vs heroines, many might see a rise in crime and wish for a more powerful law enforcement, leading to a more open recruitment which would be an in for both disillusioned hero types, anti-heroes, and even villains who might seek control of the police. This way you can have a police-state autocracy in place that's not necessarily villain exclusive, and have story reasons for some within the new autocratic state's ranks to be against the increase in power and potentially work against it from within.

The anarchy thing can be a mess from what I've seen in other sims. As much as I'd love to get Metapool behind the wheel of a supercharged 1973 Interceptor and attack PAE convoys at high speed with a flamethrower, I can't help but feel this would lead to a very extreme switch in how the sim plays out. Now, it CAN be done, but typically in my experience, either nothing changes and everyone just keeps going as normal ignoring the storyline, some things change where some people are doing the hardcore mad max anarchy while people still work at the bank, or everyone goes full anarchy and any pre-set stories become incredibly muddled as everyone's attacking everything. Now, it can be done, but it'd be a bit rough IMO.

To put one final note in, if you're wondering how the autocracy works, ask any of us who were at Republic of Hayao. I'm not asking for anything as extreme as that, but having a bilateral increase in police force (as has already been suggested by many in this thread) could lead to a Coup by the newly enforced police, overthrowing the leader of CC and installing a military leader of their own. This can either a direct issue of villains taking over or villains putting influence on the leaders, but I think it'd be an interesting run.

As for leadership in the Police role, I can't help but agree that I haven't heard anything from its current leaders. I would be more than happy to volunteer to help with the police force, as I imagine my heroine Hellguard would be excellent within it. I know I don't have a huge amount of time in SL on a week to week basis, but I'd be willing to put a bit more in if it was for helping to organize the group, especially considering I was active in the force with another character back when Blue was active with it.
Gimme the sauce, Morty, I need the sauce.

J.Trimble

Post by J.Trimble » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:01 am

Speaking of events and missing posts.
"Please" just copy and paste your emotes to me.
Following local chat as you are typing out responses to the two or three emotes you've seen means that while you're typing you're likely to miss the others before hitting enter.

J.Trimble

Post by J.Trimble » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:07 am

The reason the city government has not been trouncing heroines and putting them on auction is because it has no active enforcement arm.
I wrote the constitution to provide plenty of loop holes and plenty of punishments that are harsher on heroines. Slavery for heroines? well yes, yes we have that, but guess what. No police to enforce it. A government is only as effective as its -stick- without that -stick- there is very little that can be done and very little "Politicking" and "Spin" to put on the face of things. Because on the face of things I'm not having to defend the actions of the CCPD, because they aren't doing anything.

I'm sick of being targeted for coups because our police ((which isn't my faction, and beyond my power to ooc to do something about)) Died. ((blue -is- busy rl incredibly so and she has priorities to RL first, and we'd all like say this isn't a blame game, just things aren't working without the stick))

Its not an IC or OOC unwillingness to get those pesky heroines under control IC, its the fact I don't have a stick to police those laws, and when I do play a police officer to go and do that, it's -just me on my own- The laws and constitution are already oppressive enough -IF- enforced.